Saturday, January 30, 2016

January 30,2016

Genesis 25:34  And Jacob gave Esau bread and stew of lentils; then he ate and drank, arose, and went his way.  Thus Esau despised his birthright.

I read an article recently that explained that Hebrew sages use this verse to teach the philosophy of today's world:  live for the moment.  Forget the eternal perspective. Esau didn't see the value in his future blessings when he could have his meal "here and now."

How often we find that we are living in the "here and now" with no regard for our eternal promises. We find ourselves in this world that offers instant gratification around every corner.  I am not sure what the answer is other than making a conscious effort to treasure those things that are of eternal value.  Staying in the Word of God helps me a great deal.  I also like to keep a gratitude journal to remind myself of the many blessings God bestows upon me.

I think I will try to not go to one fast food place this week, or order on-line anything that I could go out at some point in the future and get.  Slow down and take time to smell the roses (okay this time of year - smell the coffee).  I encourage you to do the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment