Thursday, January 28, 2016

January 28, 2016

I Corinthians 9:24  Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it.

This reminded me of the 2014 Winter Olympics and Russia.

As I listen to the stories that so many of these athletes have shared about what it took to get there, I am truly convicted.  Not about my lack of exercise or commitment, because I, too, have my passions; however, when I think about the spiritual race I am in as a Christian - I have my regrets.

What does Paul mean when he challenges us to run in such a way to win the prize?  I don't believe we get the prize by working our way to salvation, but true salvation should result in good works.  What is the prize?  I believe it is a relationship with Jesus Christ that will, at some time, include hearing Him say, "Well done my good and faithful servant."

Ask yourself - Are you satisfied to just be saved and labeled Christian?  Or do you want to finish the race well, obtaining the prize?   Does serving the Lord and His people rank high on your priorities?

I was once asked the question, and it still haunts me - "What if every Christian were like you?  Where would the church be?"     I will leave you to ponder that...

No comments:

Post a Comment