Wednesday, July 6, 2016

July 6, 2016

I have been reading a book about praying in preparation for a book club discussion next week at our church.   I have had some real "ouchy" moments during my quiet time with this particular text.   One of the more difficult lessons I have learned about prayer is that I do not take prayer seriously enough, 100% of the time.   Yes, I pray.  Yes, I pray everyday.  The problem is that some days my prayers are "worked in" while I am driving to work or  folding laundry.   That points to the idea that I do make prayer a priority in my day.  When I look at my calendar I have scheduled in medical appointments and hair appointments.   I have lunch dates penciled in and book club and Bible study.  Special play days and  overnights with grandbabies are written in my calendar in bold letters.   But where is prayer?  Admittedly, prayer is something that I make happen at meal time and bedtime on a regular basis.  Those what I call "snatch prayers"  are said through out the day on an "as needed" basis, but setting aside intentional, unterrupted time to chat with God does not happen very often in my weekly calendar.  How about your schedule?    Do you carve out time to pray to God?   Matthew 6:6  "But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret.  And you Father who sees in secret will reward you."  Friends, we need to schedule prayer into our everyday lives in order to make sure we make time to go to our room and shut the door and be with our Father.    Let's try it for one week and see what kind of amazing things God will do with us as we reach out to Him.          

No comments:

Post a Comment