Saturday, March 5, 2016

March 5, 2016

I Samuel 7:4 So the Israelites put away their Baals and Ashtoreths, and served the Lord only.

How often we try to get by with serving another god in addition to the One True God.  We can rest assured we will always get caught.  Why?  Because our God is a jealous God.  He loves us way too much to share us with others.  He also doesn't want a half-hearted love or devotion, so we have to put our other gods away and serve the Lord only.

You might say, but I don't have any other gods.  Whatever you devote your time to can easily become your god.  The most recent eye-opener for me was a study that asserted the fact that "fear" can be our god.  Wow!  What a new thought.  I had never considered my fear could be my god, but I would be the first to admit that many times it (fear) dictates my life.

I think it is a good idea to examine our lifestyles ever once in awhile and see just how much time we devote to things other than God.


I am an avid reader and was spending way too much time reading secular novels.  They weren't inappropriate but took a lot of my time.  A minister challenged me to devote as much time to the Word of God as to secular reading.  It made a difference.  Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment