Friday, February 26, 2016

February 26, 2016

Judges 6:25  "Take the second bull from your father's herd, the one seven years old.  Tear down your father's altar to Baal and cut down the Asherah pole beside it."

If you remember, this was said to Gideon before he was to go out and rid the land of the Midianites, who had been oppressing the Israelites.  When we read the story of Gideon, so often we remember that he was the one who put out the fleece and had God reassure him of his call.
What struck me this morning when I read this passage was the fact that before he could go out and be used by God and rid his homeland of the enemy, he first had to rid his household of his gods.

Isn't this true in our own lives?  Before we can be used by God, we need to rid ourselves of our gods we serve.  It is so easy to get caught up in worshiping "things" that become false gods in our lives.  Did you know that the Hebrew word for idol means "nothingness"?  That just about says it all.  We devote a lot of time and energy (and even money) on nothing.

Gracious God, dig deep in my heart.  Please remove the gods - make room for only You.  You alone are God.  Cleanse and purify my heart and mind.  Open my eyes that I might see the idols in my life for what they really are.  I want to be used by You, Lord.  Please use me.  I love You.


No comments:

Post a Comment