Wednesday, February 17, 2016

February 17, 2016

Psalm 62:11-12a  One thing God has spoken, two things have I heard; that you, O God, are strong, and that you, O Lord, are loving. (NIV)

I hardly know where to begin on these verses.  I read these this morning, and it was like a thunderbolt from heaven hit me.  In the past when I read these, I questioned how could the Lord say one thing, and I hear two?  Over my years as a Christian I have come to believe that because God is love, everything He does is motivated by love.  I was reminded of that in the above passage. At the same time as God is saying something regarding His strength - let's say for instance when He tells Israel that they will be carried away by the Assyrians and He has appointed it - we understand it is with a strong hand that He will direct the Assyrians, but at the same time we hear His love.  He is doing whatever it takes to get His people to turn from their wicked ways and return to Him.  It is because He loves them.  So we hear the two messages at the same time.  Does that make sense to you?  Really think about it.


I encourage to always look for that second statement of love, regardless of the text.  I think you will gain a new appreciation for the Scriptures and the One who loves more than anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment