Tuesday, February 16, 2016

February 16, 2016

Deuteronomy 17:16  The king, moreover, must not acquire great numbers of horses for himself or make the people return to Egypt to get more of them, for the LORD has told you "You are not to go back that way again."

When I read this in my morning devotions today, I am not sure why I was so taken aback by the phrase in the above Scripture.  Maybe it is because I have a past, or because I have "gone back" to habits I had worked hard to break.

The easiest one to talk about is my ongoing struggle with food.  I have yo-yo dieted more often than not in my life.  I will lose the weight and know exactly what I should not do, but do it - telling myself, "just this once."

We really are very much like the Israelites who had been in bondage all those years and when they were hungry or thirsty, they wanted to go back to Egypt where there food cost them nothing.  Really?  Bondage is nothing.  How soon we forget what it was like back then.  The comfort is that the Lord knows that or He wouldn't have seen the need to include the admonition in His word.

Rather than beat ourselves up over all the times we have gone back that way, let's concentrate on God's command to not do it again.  Let's just remember that He is all-knowing and has a loving reason for everything He tells us.  Instead of questioning Him, in the spirit of Nike - let's Just Do It!


No comments:

Post a Comment