Friday, September 9, 2016

September 9, 2016

I have a confession to make.   For the past two or three weeks I have been totally distracted by the busyness of life.   Shame on me!   I have been very busy at work.   I have been very busy helping my aging mom.   I have been very busy being "Grammy".   I have been very busy studying for Bible study and facilitating small groups.   I have been very busy being a farm wife and finding time to ride my horse.    I have been very busy!  It seems that I have been so busy I have missed some really big blessings that God sent my way.  Ouch!   How do I allow myself to get on that merry-go-round of life?   Have you ever taken that ride?    It is so easy to get sucked into the "fill every moment" mindset.   Sometimes that busy schedule can't be helped.    For example, when we have date deadlines at work we have to push through that busy time.    When illness or accident strike we may have to pick up the pieces for someone else as they recuperate, and busyness sets in.   But too often we make choices that create a full calendar.   I am terrible at saying no to anyone so find myself overextended from time to time. Other days I just do not plan my time very efficiently then find that they day is over but my list is not.  What about procrastination?  Do you ever put things off until the last minutes?    That often creates a hardship for me when a deadline suddenly becomes a crisis.  But the very worst thing about this whole nonsense is that my busyness takes my away from my relationship with our Lord and Savior.  When I can't find a moment to squeeze in a scripture lesson or my prayers are on the fly as I blow past vehicles on the interstate, I am TOO BUSY!   Just this evening I was reminded of the story of Mary and Martha as I read my Bible.   I am certain that God gave me this scripture because he knows I need to settle down and change my focus to look him straight in the face,   Luke 10:40-42 reads, "But Martha was distracted with much serving.  And she went up to him and said, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone?  Tell her to help me."  But the Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary.   Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her."    Beloved, I want to be like Mary.   I want to sit at the feet of Jesus and focus totally on His face.   Lord, help me to make that happen!
      

No comments:

Post a Comment