Tuesday, September 27, 2016

September 27, 2016

As I sit at my desk this evening and look around my rather messy office, I am a bit overwhelmed by the stacks of books I have sitting around waiting to be read and studied. Really good stuff about how to pray more effectively and hear the voice of God daily.    I have a stack that is just scripture studies and another for topical study like heaven and financial security.  Close at hand, but still unread, are my inspirational books that should make me want to support missions and give to charity.   I probably would feel compelled to do that if I would read the book!  I sit here wishing for more time and feeling guilty that I have not made these a priority.  Then I realized that all these books, although they promise to be great reads, are written by mere people.   People just like me who love the Lord and have put words on paper to encourage others in their faith.   The one book that I need to focus on and find time to read regularly is the Bible.   I must admit I do a pretty good job of keeping my nose in the Word, but still I could and should read so much more.    Do you have a regular Bible reading time?   Do you set aside time every single day to connect with scripture?   Friends, this is the single most important way we can spend our time and it needs to be every day!  You can buy one at the book store.   You can borrow one form the library.   You can download it onto your phone!   Friends, get your hand on a Bible and start reading it today.  1 John 2:5 reminds us that "whoever keeps his word, in him truly the love of God is perfected.  By this we may know that we are in him."  (ESV)            




No comments:

Post a Comment