Sunday, August 7, 2016

August 7, 2016

Just this week I was having a friendly discussion with someone about the diversity of Christians and the large number of different denominations in our country.   The party I was visiting with was pretty sure that her "home church" was right on with their doctrine.  In fact, she stopped just short of  challenging that all other churches that are not in line with her denomination are wrong.   I was working hard to maintain polite conversation with this woman who I was beginning to have very un-Christian judgements about.   I so wanted to remind her of the scripture in Romans that reminds Christians to avoid division.   You know the one:  Romans 16:17-18  "I appeal to you brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and create obstacles contrary to the doctrine that you have been taught;  avoid them.  For such persons do not serve our Lord Christ, but their own appetites and by smooth talk and flattery they deceive the hearts of the naive."  (ESV)   With this in mind, I politely ( and maybe a bit shortly) excused myself from the conversation and headed to the car where I  thanked God for giving me the grace and wisdom to hold my tongue so as not to be dragged into her smooth talk.   I know that God moved me and kept me silent as I am not one to be still by myself.    Thank you God!

No comments:

Post a Comment