Tuesday, August 30, 2016

August 30, 2016

I have been asked to give the devotional at the local Fellowship of Christian Athletes meeting this week.   I was asked to bring a show and tell item that represented my spiritual treasure.   I pondered this for several days before I realized that the my entire spiritual background points back to my dear Granny.   She is gone now - and I am certain she is leading Bible study somewhere near the pearly gates - but when she still graced this earth she never missed an opportunity to challenge me about some Bible gem.  I remember as a little child Granny would sing Sunday school songs to me and read Bible stories all the time.   As I grew a bit older, Granny was the one who bought me a Good News Bible so tthat I could read it for myself and begin to understand.   My teenage years gave sweet Granny a chance to remind me that I was a daughter of God and should read His word so I would know how to behave.   But the real gift was all the years that I sat at Granny's feet as an adult while we discussed the word of God.    Granny had a quiet way of getting me to see scripture in a very deep and revealing manner, and for that I am forever grateful to her.   Granny nurtured in me a desire to dig deep into the Bible to find every treasure.   But she didn't stop there.   Granny challenged me to live what I studied and to share the Word of God with others.    One day I know that I will enter the gates of heaven and I can't wait to find Granny and tell her thank you for the best earthly gift I ever received.  Psalms 1:2  "but his delight is in the law of the Lord and on his law he meditates day and night."          

No comments:

Post a Comment