Wednesday, May 25, 2016

May 25, 2016

Exodus 33:13  Now therefore, if I have found favor in your sight, please show me now your ways, that I may know you in order to find favor in your sight.

I have thought for years that this is a wonderful, but puzzling, verse in the Scriptures.  It is what I would call a circular comment.  On the surface, it sounds like it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but upon deeper reflection, I think we find a great truth of God.

Grace and God always come before anything we can do.   I believe Moses found himself in a position of knowing that he has found favor in God's sight (but at this point doesn't know how) so he attempts to find the favor.  He thinks it must be a result of getting to know God better.  That can be true, but I think Moses has - by the grace of God - found favor in His sight.  God plants the favor first, then that creates a yearning in our soul for more.


The problem is then we feel like if we do something we can get more - when in reality that is why grace is defined as unmerited favor.  Think about it.  Next time you find yourself in God's grace - just thank Him and praise Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment