Wednesday, July 8, 2015

July 8, 2015

Proverbs 26:18-19  Like a madman who throws firebrands, arrows, and death is the man who deceives his neighbor and says, "I am only joking!" (ESV)

As I was reading this, it just reminded me of all the times I have heard students say hateful things to other students, or even teachers, and then thought is was sufficient to say, "just kidding."

We have to be careful as we speak to others.  Many of us use sarcasm, but intend it to be humorous rather than hurtful.  And the written word is even harder to understand the nuances.  In this electronic world of communications we can easily be misconstrued.  I probably pray more about the use of my tongue than anything else.

Isn't interesting that in Solomon's day the problem was prevalent enough to be written about in the Word of God?  Consider your words carefully.  Once they leave your lips, it is very hard, if not impossible, to make amends for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment